Thursday, December 31, 2009

Will my husband or I have bad credit for my unpaid medical bills?

During the first year of our marriage, I got sick several times and had to be taken to the emergency room. We told them to send the bills to us through the mail and we would pay them. Now they have collection agencies sending me mail almost every day, but honestly I can't afford to pay them. Will My husband or I be denied medical care if we need it, and will this effect either of our credit scores? Also what else can they do besides send us mail, can they like take our house and stuff?Will my husband or I have bad credit for my unpaid medical bills?
If the collections are reported to the credit bureaus then yes it will hurt your credit a lot just as any collection doe's.





As far as what they can do, they can take you to court and get a judgment, at that point they can attach bank accounts, garnish wages (if your State allows it) and file liens on any real property you may own like cars, boats, land and homes.





They can not take your property but this will keep you from selling it without paying off the liens first.





All of this will show on your credit for the next 7-years.





However this should not keep you from receiving medical care in the future.





Try and get them to agree to a pay for delete agreement, this simply says that in return for your payment they agree to remove the accounts from your credit report. If they agree get this in writing before you pay them a dime.Will my husband or I have bad credit for my unpaid medical bills?
No, no matter how much you owe you will never be denied medical care. But yes you will have a bad credit score. Outstanding medical lower your credit score faster then a defaulted credit card.





But you will always get medical care from any where. If you are sick they will treat you.
Most bankruptcy's are because of medical bills. Never ever pay a bill collector. Please don't stress. Bottom feeder bill collectors will try every legal and illegal means to stress you. You can win, fight back! Good luck my friend.
Yes, it will affect your credit record - if it's gone to collections, it already has. Try to work out a settlement or payment plan. Otherwise, they may sue you.

No comments:

Post a Comment