Monday, December 28, 2009

How long do I have to sue my ex husband for restitution?

in 2001 he set our home on fire and destroyed everything I owned - after he moved all his own stuff out. He spent 4-1/2 years in jail and just got out 6 months ago. Can I still take him to court for restitution?How long do I have to sue my ex husband for restitution?
The answer explaining that each state has a different law on ';limitations'; is correct. However,court clerks usually don't give out legal advice and you are better off consulting your attorney.





If your Ex got out of prison 6 months ago, does he have any assets? Even if you win, what can you collect from him?





You really should consider whether it is worth it to be involved with this guy for the length of time it takes to fight a court case, and to attempt collection afterwords.How long do I have to sue my ex husband for restitution?
You need to talk to a lawyer. I would think that this issue should have been resolved in the divorce. If you had a lawyer for the divorce, I might go to another one.
Each state has different time limits on civil actions, you'll have to contact the clerk of the superior court where you live and ask what the limitation is. In WA state it's 6 years, where I live it's 3.


Never know til you ask.. :) Good luck, hon, sounds like you're lucky to get away from the bastard, hope you have someone nice in your life now.

No comments:

Post a Comment