Saturday, January 9, 2010

What is the law regarding my landlord or her husband opening my mail?

I have received one open credit statement and one opened net flix dvd. I also don't get mail the day it comes. What laws protect me?What is the law regarding my landlord or her husband opening my mail?
Federal Crime


Suggest you get separate mailbox and lock it


Be proactiveWhat is the law regarding my landlord or her husband opening my mail?
As I understand it, it is a federal law that protects your mail, mailbox and so forth. When someone was taking my mail, talking to the post office was like talking to the wall. They provided no help nor did the police. You have to be able to prove it before you even go there. Set up a little camera so that you have a film of them taking your mail. Where it goes from there. . .good luck. My little theives turned out to be the local kids playing post office and they were delivering my mail all around. I had to catch them myself and explain to them the importance of not taking my mail. That was a relief rather than someone trying identity theft. Best ideas are a lock box or post office box. Both a pain but that stops that. And if they are opening your mail, a po box will have you ready to move and move you want to do.
They shouldn't open your mail, but don't accuse them of doing so, unless you have proof. Landlords are not the evil things alot of people like to think. Landlording is a tough business, and most landlords care about their tenants.





Talk to your landlord about your problem. Give him a chance.
Take the advice of the rest of the posters. You can also think about getting a P.O. Box since only you will have the key for it. This way, you can be assured that you and only you have access to your mail. You pay one fee for an entire year, but this differs on the size of the box.
Speak to an attorney right away. They are tampering with the mail, and that is a federal crime. Anything that comes in under your name, is YOUR property, not theirs. They have no right to see what your credit card bills are, or what you get through the postal system.
you might want to put a hold on your mail at the post office. To do this you fill out a yellow card to tell them how long to hold the mail sent to your address. then you go back and pick it up at the post office.
You can call the Post Master to report it if someone is opening or taking your mail.
They can not do that. I would talk to your local post office and find out what you can do.
it's illegal for anyone to open mail addressed specifically to you.
The link to the law is below.

No comments:

Post a Comment