Saturday, January 9, 2010

If my husband and I filed out taxes together last year, can we file them seperate this year?

I did some math and I think this year we can save some money by filing them seperate. We are struggling, since i was laid off this year, and we need to save as much as we can. Will we have any problems with the IRS if we change how we file every year? If my husband and I filed out taxes together last year, can we file them seperate this year?
Filing separate usually disqualify taxpayers from many tax credits including refundable Earned Income Credits so I really don't see why you want to file separate. Tax rate for Married Filing Joint is also lower than Married Filing Separate. Also remember that if you spouse itemized deductions, you then cannot claim standard deductions.If my husband and I filed out taxes together last year, can we file them seperate this year?
Yes, you can change your filing procedure (standard deduction, itemizing) each year, just not your filing status (single, married). And as long as both file the same way (either both taking the standard deduction or itemizing) you'll be fine, with no issue from the IRS.





Good question and the absolute best answer can always be found on www.usa.gov or www.irs.gov or even contacting your local representative.
You can change.





It is very rare that you would come out ahead by filing separately.





Remember, if one spouse itemizes deductions, the other spouse must also itemize even if he or she has little to deduct. You can not have one spouse itemize and one take the standard deduction.
You can file married filing seperately, you cannot file as single.
Yes. Each year stands on its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment