Saturday, January 9, 2010

If a husband is physically abusive and then stops hitting his wife, will the wife always be afraid?

Assuming he has stopped hitting his wife for an extended period of time (years), without professional help, and still remains verbally abusive, do you think the wife could ever get over her fear and reach a point where she thinks, ';I don't have to be afraid; he'll never hit me again';?





Also assuming the physical abusive was somewhat frequent, serious, and required legal and medical intervention.If a husband is physically abusive and then stops hitting his wife, will the wife always be afraid?
I was hit by a previous boyfriend, I still to this day unintentionally flinch away from my hubby. Or stay out of sight when he is angry, this man has never laid a hand on me it's just survival instict now I guess.If a husband is physically abusive and then stops hitting his wife, will the wife always be afraid?
Nope, if he hit his wife for an extended period of time, then stopped,but is still verbally abusive, he may ';hit'; again at any time. He may never hit you again, but why take that risk? Even the verbal abuse affects you mentally, and physically, and I know you can still see and feel inside the times he did hit you, it is hard to forget that. Verbal abuse can be just as bad.





If I couldn't talk to this man about the verbal abuse, and end it completely, I would try to peacefully leave him, but give him that chance if you love him. Keep your plans to yourself till you see if things will change. You are the only one that can take care of yourself in this world, it will be tough to do, but you won't be living with verbal abuse, and there won't be the chance that he will hit you again. There is a freedom and satisfaction in escaping an abuser.
Once an abuser, always an abuser.





She should get out, no matter for what period of time he stops for, sooner or later, something will ';set him off';, and he will start abusing again.





Get out, go to a woman's shelter, and leave him, save your life, he is dangerous.





By staying in that kind of relationship, you are just asking for trouble.





Please get out.
I think she should never be afraid again. I think I'd get the h*ll out of there and never look back. Even if the physical violence has stopped, the verbal abuse is just as frightening. No one wants to be around a hot tempered foul mouthed @ss all the time. You never know when you'll say something that pushes him over the edge. Everyone has a breaking point. I recommend not being around to discover his. YIKES! Run fast and far my friend.
Depends on the individual. It would be common for someone to eventually lose the fear, or much of it, if the behavior ceased...however some would always fear it, knowing that it had happened in the past and could easily happen again.





She'd be more wise to leave him, but some women have more emotional/mental issues than their abusers and stay. It's a shame.
The only way to truly heal from abuse is to be removed from the abuser, get therapy and heal. A lot of domestic violence victims live in denial about how serious the abuse really is..that is why they need to see for themselves that they are victims, need counseling and healing and that they need to remove themselves from the abusive relationship..
I agree, she will never get over it.





My fiance is the calmest, most soft spoken person I know, and would never dream of hitting any woman, let alone me.





And when we're fighting, and he raises his arm to (scratch his face, pet the dog, get a drink) I flinch. Thanks to my ex.





Says it hurts his feelings, but I really, truly can't help it.
I think if he truly stopped, that she would eventually leave that guy and find one that hits her because that is what she is used to and because she is sick too for letting her husband hit on her in the first place.
Eventually he will hit her again...she'll just give him a ';good reason.'; It may take 25 or 30 years, but he'll do it again. Time to bail out before it happens. There are too many good guys out there to keep someone who is abusive.
Yes, she will always be afraid.





To this day whenever someone around me is arguing or fighting and they move quick by me, my heart starts pounding and I jerk backwards.
why would she still be with this son-of-a-snitch!


Verbal abuse is sometimes worse than physical


dont make excuses for this man!!!


Her problem is she has low self esteem and feels like there is no way out. She's scared to go on and depend on herself.


Breaks my heart!
He is still abusive if its verbal. She will always be afraid since he hurt her bad enough to seek medical attention. He could snap again, will be in the back of her mind forever.
Yes. Even if she leaves him she'll be afraid of the next man she's with wether he hits her or not.
Nope, the wife will always be afraid! Verbal abuse is just as bad!
She will never get over it. She is stupid for staying with him. He should be in jail and she should move on. Maybe he shoulda smacked some sense into her....
Why should she trust him? Just because a volcano has gone dormant for awhile doesn't mean it will never explode again.
weak man to hit a woman.





should have left the first time you were hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment