Saturday, January 9, 2010

Could a husband and wife bringing in 70k a year afford 6 kids?

In today's society? How many kids could they afford..Could a husband and wife bringing in 70k a year afford 6 kids?
6 kids + 2 adults on 70k? No way. :( Reality is one healthy child isn't cheap... and hopefully all six would be in good health, God willing. Take everything into account (btw, I'm leaving out a lot of stuff): job security right now isn't the greatest, do both jobs have good benefits (medical, dental, life), look at the cost of living in the area you're in, diapers and food aren't cheap, and childcare costs are skyrocketing! You can only stretch a dollar so much. I'm not trying to sound so negative, but our economy is in a big slump right now and it probably will be for a few years. I would say two or three kids would be a better fit. Good luck to you guys with your decisions!Could a husband and wife bringing in 70k a year afford 6 kids?
It depends on how you live. I don't live that way.


My husband makes 120K/year. We have 3 kids, and we don't have alot of extra money to spare. We have a regular middle class 4br, 2.5bath house, 2 newish cars, with reasonable car payments, I do buy mostly name brand, but do shop off season.





I don't buy generic groceries.





The kids do a lot of extra-curricular activities.





We spend several thousand each year on other people's weddings, baby showers, birthdays. My oldest was invited to 15 birthday parties last year, at 40/per present it adds up. And somehow I am always in a wedding, next year its my sister's which will cost me 3-4 thousand.





We do go places alot, we eat out alot. We do christmas big.
My family of 3 kids and two adults lived off 30K insurance they got from my moms dad dying. We lived like this for 3 years in a middle class house with plenty of food and toys. We also went out to places every day. This was because my mom knew how to handle money.This period let my dad get a better job. Over the 3 years he rose ranks. He now brings in 350K a year. So yeah IF you can manage money you will be fine. Tell your husband to get a better job when he can or go for a promotion or a raise. This is how my family lived until I turned 6. (They lived on there own when I was 3.) I am 12 now and will remember this story forever. It was how I learned to mange money. REMEMBER put 10% of what you make in a savings account this will help you if you hit debt. Hopefully this will help you in the long run. I saw this question and got the answer straight from my parents. God Bless you and good luck.
yes.


They'd have to hope that no child has any special needs. All children would ahve to be typical. I ahve a special needs child and it is expensive if you do not qualify for assitance. I think if they make 70k they would not qualify.





Ok all children would have to go to public school. No clothing shopping - its always have to be hand me downs. They'd ahve to buy generics no name brand at the supermarket. Eating out would be SELDOM. Mom would have an incredible task at home for cooking for all those children.


But it can be done.


We have 4 children and about the same ratio salary. I am a sahm, and the wife in this scenario could be too if they budgeted really well.
Sure..it does depend on what they have set up before hand and what they consider expendible or an absolute must have for life. If they already have a house big enough and vehicles then 70k is more then enough. Trying to have that many kids and then purchasing a home and vehicles would be much harder!
Well, In reference to the economy. Yes it is in bad shape. Bur, You live in a very rural area where, what is considered a high price at the grocery store there, could be the low price, at a store in a major city.
It all depends on lifestyles-- our family makes less than $20,000 and though it is tight, we still make it (with one child and another on the way). It all depends on how wisely or unwisely you use your money!
If you are good with money, anything is possible.
i think so it all depend on how you invest your money

No comments:

Post a Comment