Friday, April 30, 2010

Why does our 15 week old boxer hump my husband but not me?

It seems that when our puppy is excited he would hump my husbands leg or arm. He just started this behavior. I'm just wondering why is it he never behaves like this with me, is it because I smell different. My husband thinks our puppy has gay tendencies. Just wondering if anyone knew why is my husband always the victim of this arm and leg rape.Why does our 15 week old boxer hump my husband but not me?
Because he's showing dominance over your husband, but not you. He sees himself below you in the ';pack'; order, but above your husband.





Your husband needs to establish his role as ABOVE that of the dog's, in your pack. Tell him NOT to let the puppy hump him. My pup tried this on me when I first brought him home, I got right in his face and growled ';NOOO';, he backed right off, and has never tried to hump my leg since!





Whatever anyone tells you, it really isn't necessary to put a puppy in the ';submissive'; position (which would be taking him by the scruff of his neck, bringing him down to the ground, and hovering over him until his body relaxes and he shows ';submission';). It shouldn't be necessary. A stern tone of voice with such a young puppy should do the trick.





You and your husband just need to establish yourselves as reliable, consistent leaders for the puppy, and he will soon relax in his role within the pack, and won't feel the need to assert dominance, if he feels that you're doing a great job as leaders.Why does our 15 week old boxer hump my husband but not me?
He is trying to be the dominanat male. I would knock him off, and nueter him as soon as possible. If you are not intending to breed him, get it done. He will settle down and stay close to home. Plus, we don't need anymore unwanted puppies. I had a male boxer and he was a great guy. Wonderful protector. Takes boxer's years to grow up. Good luck, love him lots and be the boss. Use food treats for his attention.
That is a sign that your dog is trying to dominate your husband! No gay tendencies!
It is not nessessarily dominance. Dogs display dominance behaviors less then we think. Most times for a pup it is just a rush of hormones. However do not allow him to do this so it won't become a habit.





To be sure it is not dominance I would put in place a pack order. Research ';Nothing in Life is Free'; or ';NILIF'; and it will give you a set of guidlines. It is all positive reinforcement based. Best of luck :)
have your husband hump the dog and the dog will stop. like the first person said your considered more dominant to the dog
In addition to what has been said about the dominance issues, another factor may be your husband's cologne. Many colognes contain a variety of chemicals that either mimic hormones or trigger production of them in humans and animals alike....do some experiments like switching colognes, or you try wearing some of your husband's and see what happens.
Well, dogs cannot be gay. They aren't sexually oriented like that. They strictly have sex only to have puppies. Not because it's fun or because they feel like it. Second, it's not leg or arm ';rape';. Don't call it that. He's starting to establish dominance. If he isn't neutered. Which, I would assume at 15 weeks, he wouldn't be.





One question though, why do you seem like you want him to hump you? Just curious.
Give him a chance - he'll hump you soon enough- he's only a puppy
Just dominance issues, teach the dog the ';off'; command. Dogs will normally try to get dominance at this age and earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment