Friday, April 30, 2010

My estranged husband filed taxes without me and did not include me on them. What should I do?

I filed mine with my income only, but file married filing separately. In California when you file MFS you are supposed to add both incomes together and then each file half, but I have no info on his income. Should I contact the IRS or will they catch this. I included his name and SS# on my return, he did not include mine on his.My estranged husband filed taxes without me and did not include me on them. What should I do?
katawabe apparently prepares taxes in a non community property state and (I hope!) and never heard of community property laws.





That said, yes, contact the IRS.My estranged husband filed taxes without me and did not include me on them. What should I do?
Federal taxes are the same no matter what state you are in. You can file seperately using your own income without being concerned about your spouses income. The state of California may have some such tax law but even that would be unrealistic since there are many people out all over the country that have no idea where their spouse is let alone their income. The IRS will probably red flag it when SS#'s are found on 2 returns but with yours only on one. You filed correctly but may have to contact the IRS if you don't get your refund within the expected time...assuming you get a refund of course.
The quickest way to figure out the correct answer to that is to cal a lwayer who specializes in finances/taxes, you can find such a lawyer specific to your needs by looking in an online yellow pages, there are a bunch in LA you could contact and ask a few quick questions about that. I would figure out exactly what you are dealing with before you try and report it : %26gt;

No comments:

Post a Comment